Sunday, May 27, 2012

Cooking out for Memorial Day Weekend

 It'd been a little while since I'd seen all my family1q2tgh (kitten), and I decided that Memorial Day weekend was the perfect time to get them, or at least the local ones, together.  So, with my sister Tabitha (who will, I believe, be posting soon) I planned a cookout.


Having become a little more health conscious as of late, she agreed that we ought to try to make it be a healthy cookout- no hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, pop, or potato chips for us!

Instead we had marinated chicken breast, marinated pork chops, sweet potato fries (largely inedible due to the fact that I forgot about them and burnt them to a crisp), veggie skewers, steamed asparagus, lemony kale salad, pineapple, watermelon, strawberries, bananas, dark chocolate ganache, and a layered pudding/cracker/oreo dessert.  Oh, and to drink, we had plain sweet tea, a sweet tea blend, organic lemonade (I don't always buy organic- but it was on sale, and I was glad to buy lemonade with real ingredients), organic lemonade with strawberries, organic lemonade with mixed berries, and water.  Obviously some of that stuff is healthier than others... but it was all delicious!  Well, I think.  I didn't have all of it, and the stuff I didn't have was devoured. :)

I unfortunately didn't get pictures of the meat or veggies, because they all arrived AFTER I took food pictures. I also didn't get a picture of the ganache.  Plus, no props or staging today yesterday!


One of my sister's roommates found a kitten.  A super duper fluffy feisty adorable kitten!  As he was too young to go to the shelter, she was fostering him.  Buuuuuuut then she randomly had to leave for a week, and my sister and her other roommate had work, so they figured it'd be best to have us take care of him, so he joined our family, temporarily at least, last night.


He bounces all over the place with energy energy energy, and then sleeps like a rag doll.  So he has the whole thing where he doesn't want to be held while he's playing, but then sometimes when he gets tired and for whatever reason wants to sleep on a person he comes and bugs you until you let him sleep on you.  Awwww. :)  He's fluffy.  Hee hee. :D

I want to keep him. :)

Also last night, my sister who recently got back from overseas showed off all her souvenirs and things.  It took hours.  But that gave plennnttty of time for kitten cuddling and baby cuddling and sister cuddling, so it was all cool.


It's a good thing that babies make silly faces while they're sleeping, because otherwise they'd be really really boring. :)

Later, some of us played tennis and sang hymns.  It was lovely.  Only I got really really energetic.  That happens sometimes when I eat plenty of meat.  Caffeine and sugar do nothing to me (well, actually, sugar can make me feel pretty depressed, especially when I make a cake late at night, snitching all the way, and when I'm done the kitchen is a complete wreck and I see nothing in life worth living for... at that point I decide that I'd better just go to bed haha), but give me a hunk of meat and before long I just can't stop moving!  Or talking!  It's pretty strange.  I restrained myself from belting out random songs while playing tennis, since it wasn't just me and my little sister, but I plum wore myself out from jumping and running around. :)

Since I didn't take pictures of the meat, I'll just link to the recipes.  Although admittedly I did no measuring.  Also, I used pork chops instead of tenderloin.  Chicken recipe is here...  Pork recipe is here...

For the flavored lemonades, I just dumped frozen fruit into pre-made lemonades.  They were yummy. :)

I don't like many salads, but I loved the lemony kale salad!  I loosely based it off of a recipe from the latest issue of Better Homes and Gardens.  I just rinsed some kale, a little spinach, and a little spring salad greens mix...  Then tossed in some halved cherry tomatoes, homemade croutons, and grated parmesan cheese...  Then topped it with the juice of one lemon, some extra-virgin olive oil, and some salt and pepper.  For the homemade croutons, I baked part of a whole wheat baguette with some garlic salt, parsley, pepper, and extra-virgin olive oil at 350 for about 15 minutes, turning them after about 10, and leaving them in the turned off oven as it cooled.

Well, that's about it for now...  I hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment