Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Introduction and Hearty Taco Dip (Tab's first post)

Ok, so I am finally getting around to making my first post...here goes.
First a little by way of introduction. Umm...I love to cook. When I eat something in a restaurant that I like, I go home and try to figure out how to make it. I've become quite a "foodie" over the last few years. I eat foods now that before the last couple years I had no clue what they were - foods with names like kefir, bok choy, masago, and chia. Earlier today I snacked on sesame-flavored seaweed snacks. And they were delicious.
Having said that, one of the downsides to trying all these things is that, while I have great fun cooking, it isn't usually a simple process. I can never leave a recipe alone. Always a tweak here and there and some obscure addition. Well, that is what it is. I'll have fun with it and blog now and then and if you like one of my recipes, great! If not, Becky's entries are delightful so come back for hers. :-) Anyway, here is one of my recipes that is actually pretty simple. Enjoy!

Hearty Taco Dip
This is an easy, hearty dish. It's a great one to make in a rice cooker, by the way, to keep warm on a buffet or something. It reheats well too. When I just made it the other day I used my wok. (I LOVE my wok, btw) I just sauted diced onion, red pepper, and minced garlic in a little oil. Then I added a pound of ground beef and browned it; seasoned with taco seasoning (about double what I would use for just the meat, so there's enough to flavor the veggies too) Then - black beans, pinto beans, corn, and fire-roasted diced tomatoes (no, I did not personally fire-roast them). I also add a whole-grain rice blend. Just look at this - so colorful!



Mix it up, sprinkle with shredded cheese if you desire, and serve up with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt.















Just scoop up with tortilla chips to eat. Or, roll up in a tortilla and grill into a taquito and dip in salsa. Lots of protein, fiber, and most of all, flavor!

1 comment: